(a) “Common interest development manager” means an individual who for compensation, or in expectation of compensation, provides or contracts to provide management or financial services, or represents himself or herself to act in the capacity of providing management or financial services to a community association. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, an individual may not be required to obtain a real estate or broker’s license in order to perform the services of a common interest development manager to a community association.
(b) “Common interest development manager” also means any of the following:
(1) An individual who is a partner in a partnership, a shareholder or officer in a corporation, or who, in any other business entity acts in a capacity to advise, supervise, and direct the activity of a registrant or provisional registrant, or who acts as a principal on behalf of a company that provides the services of a common interest development manager.
(2) An individual operating under a fictitious business name who provides the services of a common interest development manager.
This section may not be construed to require a community association to hire for compensation a common interest development manager, unless required to do so by the governing documents of the common interest development. Nothing in this part shall be construed to supersede any law that requires a license, permit, or any other form of registration, to provide management or financial services. Nothing in this section shall preclude a licensee of the California Board of Accountancy to provide financial services to a community association within the scope of his or her license in addition to the preparation of reviewed and audited financial statements and the preparation of the community association’s tax returns.
- Business & Professions Code Section 11503. Management Firm Not “CID Manager.”
- Business & Professions Code Section 11502.5. CID Manager Education Requirements.
- Business & Professions Code Section 11502. CID Manager Certification.
- Business & Professions Code Section 11504. Manager Disclosures.
- Civil Code Section 4158. “Managing Agent” Defined.